Monday, November 19, 2018

I'm a Trauma Survivor

Tonight, I was mindlessly scrolling through Facebook and came across this and it stopped me in my tracks.


I don't know the source, only the person who shared it. But I read it over and over. "Trauma Survivor". One of my earliest memories was my adopted mother teaching me to be grateful for everything because "other people have it much worse."
I realized this was something she learned from experience, not information she was taught through education or family history.
I have survived a lot in my life yet, rarely do I blame the trauma.

  • I've been cheated on in every serious relationship I have ever had, except for my husband. I'm guessing that is a big suppressed reason as to why I keep him around. 😉
  • I have been abandoned more than once, but I have forgiven everyone and pushed to rebuild the relationships 
  • I've survived a head on collision in a major city, which still gives me nightmares. 
  • I survived a tornado as a child and that still gives me nightmares. 
  • I have survived assault and rape. 
  • I have survived a physically abusive relationship and a narsacist. 
  • I've survived emotional and verbal abuse. 
  • I survived addiction. 
And even after all that... I still believe there are others who have it worse.

I am pretty grateful to be a Trauma Survivor. Next time you judge someone, take a minute to contemplate what makes them a survivor.

No comments: